St. Paul’s University is a Christian ecumenical institution with students and staff from all over the world. Our mission is to raise the standards of education through holistic learning, in a Christian ecumenical atmosphere that gives room for people of all faiths to find a place of study, research, intellectual and spiritual engagement and growth.
The origin of the University goes back to the early years of missionary work in East Africa. In 1875 the Church Missionary Society (CMS) founded a settlement for freed slaves at Frere Town, near Mombasa. In 1888, the Rev. E. A. Fitch began a Divinity class designed to offer some practical skills and Christian leadership training to these freed slaves. The Divinity class offered training to six teacher-evangelists who were ordained Deacons. Thus began the training of Africans for the ordained ministry of the Christian Church.